Wednesday, June 26, 2013

T-79 Days; Seriously impatient now

I can't believe I wrote that it would be seventy nine days.  We are now in the seventies.  That is dangerously close to being the sixties, which is officially two months... I'm really not sure how that math adds up... though I realize that in my last post I thought it was three months until London, when in reality, it was three months until Swansea, and I was wrong about the hours.  But oh well, it was still an exciting day.

The countdown itself is until the day I leave for New York, so it's another few days until London and a week until Swansea.  So it's really more like T-79, 84, 87.

I've been having a lot of fun the last few days planning my trip to London.  I guess its one trip I had been planning on spending a lot of money on.  Maybe that's obvious, since I've already spent $230 on the hotel.  I know it would be cheaper to stay in a hostel, but I'm worried about being reachable in case my luggage is lost at the airport, and the risk of my luggage being stolen is exponentially higher at a hostel.  Because what I'll have with me on that trip is literally everything I'll have to my name, I thought it would be better to stay in a hotel on my first trip.  It's also because its a new city, new country, new continent.  I have never been out of the US before, save for a brief trip to Victoria in Canada once, and let's face it, that doesn't really count.  Since I don't know really what I'm doing, I think a hotel is definitely a better idea than a hostel.  Once I've gotten into the swing of things, I'll hostel until the cows come home, but until then, I'm living in luxury.

Aside from the hotel, I've been looking at attractions.  I had considered getting a London City Pass, or whatever its called.  Its basically a discount card that you can purchase for about £60 for one day.  The pass gets you access to the faster lines, and £90 worth of attractions, so if I was going to be going hog wild, it might actually save me money.  But I'm not really going to have time to get to £60 worth of stuff, let alone £90 in a single day.  So I scrapped that idea and have decided on one paid attraction for each of the three days I'll be in London.  In all, that brings my total to about £30 for attractions for the trip with about the same for food.

As far as where I'd like to go, I've almost definitely settled on Kensington, Natural History Museum, and the Globe theatre.  Natural History Museum is free, so I'm set there, Kensington is about £11 for students, and the Globe is £11 for the tour and £7 for standing room at a show.  I'll probably mostly just wander around near westminster and view it from afar, maybe stop by trafalgar square.  I had hoped to go to Camden Market, but it's just too out of the way for this trip, so I'll have to save it.  Of course, there are a million other things I'd LOVE to do but can't afford like St. Pauls Cathedral, The Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Westminster, and the London Dungeons, but I figure I shouldn't burn a hole in my pocket too quickly.

Welp, that's about all I've got to share today.  I should probably proof read this, but I just can't bring myself to.  Is anyone even reading this?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ali, Yep, I am reading it. Actually, I am just popping in to let you know I am catching up on all your posts up to your arrival in NYC. I really love that you are blogging your experiences. It will be a wonderful way of keeping up with you. I hope you know how very excited I am for you to have this wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete