Friday, September 13, 2013

Houston, we have liftoff

I'm here!  And by "here" I mean New York.  I arrived yesterday at about five pm, and though I thought about it, I didn't get to writing a post.  I meant to, I really did, but I hadn't slept all night, got a few hours on the plane, and in general needed to crash.  Even being three hours ahead, I fell asleep at about 8 while we were watching a movie and still slept through most of the night.  Then I woke up at 6 and am now bright eyed, bushy tailed, and ready to take on the day!

I think the most exciting bit for me is getting to see my cousin, Sarah, whom I rarely get to see.  Me being the dork that I am, I totally forgot she's living in New York until my dad reminded me on the way to the airport at four in the morning.  So I dropped her a message after arriving and we are going to meet up later.  Yay!

Anyway, let me backtrack.  My flight departed out of SFO at 7am in the morning, so we left Davis at 3am, drove to SF, and I was through security by 5:15.  Of course, there was some slight weather delay, so we got on half an hour later than expected.  We arrived two hours later than expected, and it took me twenty minutes longer than expected to meet my car, but in the end, all was well.

Probably the biggest problem I've encountered was luggage.  I was borrowing a small, check size bag from my sister, but after having it fully packed at thirty five pounds and knowing I had tons more, I realized I needed to get something bigger.  Luckily, I managed to get a six piece luggage set at JCPenny's for about thirty bucks (Score!), though its a bit rickety and not the greatest, I only intend to use the biggest size three or four times total, so I'm fine with it.  Of course, I packed that suitcase within an inch of its little cheap life, so it weighed a whole 50.5lbs.  I thought I could manage that buuuut maybe not.  I foresee a lot of taxies in my future.  Oh well, it'll all be worth it in the end.

I think I can now safely say that I have an apartment.  I got an email back saying that he had received my bank transfer, so I'm thinking that's real.  Something tells me if he was a scammer, he wouldn't bother emailing me that.

My mother cried when I left, of course, no one else.  It was sad saying goodbye to all my Davis friends, but mostly I think it hasn't quite sunk in yet.  Probably when I've been in Swansea for a few days and can't find cocoa puffs or peanut butter, that's when it'll hit.  But at least I'll be able to watch new Doctor Who episodes, Sherlock, and Downton Abbey WHEN THEY COME OUT.

And tonight, we'll be breaking out the champagne that has been waiting.  Pics of my adventures so far to follow!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Sweetheart,
    I am caught up with you and waiting for what is happening in NYC. Sounds like the flight out there was uneventful, which is wonderful and I am glad you got a good nights sleep finally. Can't wait to hear more.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But at least I'll be able to watch new Doctor Who episodes, Sherlock, and Downton Abbey WHEN THEY COME OUT." - Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete